Sunday, August 28, 2011

1/60th Scale Vulcan

I've been enlisted to produce a series of 1/60th versions of some of my mechs (Hi Scott!) and so we're starting with some of the smaller ones. This weekend I printed out the 1/60th scale Vulcan.

HAL did a good job with no noticeable deformation in the parts. Bigger models seem to be less susceptible to warpage during the build. The only fly in the ointment is a piece of support structure that it put into the bayonette mount for the torso - it'll take some finessing to remove.

Speaking of HAL, I'd had a word with the V-Flash tech about the build tray sensor (which we just defeated in software) and why certain models were dying in the middle of the print job. The tech ran some remote tests and couldn't determine why it shouldn't be able to complete a print job. My suspicion is that it is due to heat cuz he isn't doing it any more (I was trying to print those POMO animals in the dog days of summer and HAL probably wasn't liking that). Its not like the CPU is shutting down, but maybe just the imaging section. That's why the job keeps running and the gantry and resin feed keeps moving, but nothing is printing. Just my thoughts. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd stick some temperature sensors in there and log temperature... meh, later. He's working OK fer now.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Auction That Wasn't and Creating the Whitworth

So I've been meaning to auction some 1/100th scale Battletech models for awhile now... they've been printed and cured, but I still haven't gotten around to sanding and finishing the parts. The auction that was supposed to happen this past spring, then this summer, will in all likelihood, happen just before Christmas. Bleh.

In the meantime, I've started working on the Whitworth. Not much to show yet, but its a start. I've got some parts from the mechforce model in there for now, but it'll bear little resemblance to it by the time I'm through...